Tools for the Subconscious

'It's like something is in the back of your mind, you don't know it in advance, but you recognize it when actually experience it.'*

*Jeff Wall


Tools for the Subconscious was my graduation work at the Gerrit Rietveld Academy in 1999. 
It portrays important aspects of my work such as introspection, self-awareness, the influence of emotions and desires in relationships and social behavior.

Already in the previous years of 1997 and 1998 with the project Gestures, developed mainly during my exchange program at the Parsons School of Design in New York, human behavior was considered in my works.



 
In Tools for the Subconscious I focused on sensations connected to touch, breath and hearing, to create objects that would work like tools.  
By getting attached to the body they would
promote introspection, self-awareness and, make evident subtle sensations often disguised or inhibited.




In 2005 former students from the Gerrit Rietveld Academy were invited to interpret the work they have donated to the collection from the Jewellery Department. From two works I donated one was a nose piece made in latex featuring two noses touching each and the other was the silver nose prosthesis shown in the picture above. The new work I made, shown in the picture below, is a reinterpretation of both.